Be as Slippery as an Eel
滑頭滑腦
2008年04月11日蘋果日報
對話
Store owner:OK, that will be $300.
商店老闆:好的,一共是300美金。
Customer:$300, all right. Listen, I don't have that much today.
顧客:300元,好吧。聽著,我今天沒帶那麼多錢。
Store owner:I see.
商店老闆:我了解。
Customer:Let me pay you $100 today, and I'll give you the rest next week.
顧客:我今天先付你 100 元,其他的下星期再給。
Store owner:No way.
商店老闆:不行。
Customer:Why not?
顧客:為什麼不行?
Store owner:We've been through this before. You never pay me back.
商店老闆:你以前就用過這招。之後就沒有再付錢給我。
Customer:Yes I do!
顧客:我有!
Store owner:No, you don't. You're as slippery as an eel.
商店老闆:你才沒有。你這滑頭滑腦的人。
Customer:Here, I'll let you keep my watch. It's real gold.
顧客:這樣好了,我這隻手錶寄在你這裡。是純金的。
Store owner:That watch is plastic!
商店老闆:這根本就是塑膠的!
Customer:Well, it still tells the time!Look:4:52!See?
顧客:唉呀,還是可以報時嘛!你看:4:52!看到了沒?
延伸學習
俚語精解
Be as Slippery as an Eel
Slippery是形容詞,表示「滑溜的」,eel指「鰻魚」。這個俚語字面直譯為「像鰻魚一樣滑溜」,實則形容某人「滑頭滑腦」,就像鰻魚一樣滑不溜丟。例:How could you trust Ted with the money?He’s as slippery as an eel.(你怎麼會把錢交給泰德保管?他這傢伙滑頭滑腦的。)
關鍵字詞
◎owner n. 所有人
例:I still can’t find the cat’s owner.(我還是找不到這隻貓的飼主。)
◎the rest 其餘的部分
例:I’ll take two thirds of the winnings, and the rest will be yours. (這筆獎金我拿三分之二,其餘的歸你。)
◎plastic a. 塑膠的
例:People should avoid using plastic bags in order to protect the earth.(為了保護地球,人們應該避免使用塑膠袋。)