Cocky
臭屁
對話
Ted:Are you ready for the test?
泰德:你考試準備好了嗎?
George:Yeah. That test is going to be so easy.
喬治:是的。這將是一次簡單到不行的考試。
Ted:Did you study?
泰德:你有念書嗎?
George:No way. But I could pass that test with my eyes closed.
喬治:並沒有。那種考試我閉著眼睛就能過關了。
Ted:You're pretty cocky! Why are you so confident?
泰德:你真臭屁!怎麼那麼有信心?
George:The test is on Shakespeare, right?Well, I watched the movie“Shakespeare in Love”yesterday, and I read the Wikipedia entry on Shakespeare. I'm all set.
喬治:考試是考莎士比亞對吧?呵呵,我昨天才看過電影《莎翁情史》,而且我還讀了維基百科上的莎士比亞詞條。準備十分充分啦。
Ted:Dude, Shakespeare in Love is fiction, and Wikipedia doesn't tell you everything.
泰德:老兄,《莎翁情史》是虛構的,維基百科也不是什麼都有。
George:Whatever, man. "Two bees or not two bees, that is my question." See?
喬治:嘿,隨便啦。「兩隻蜜蜂,或者不是兩隻,這正是問題所在。」怕了吧?
延伸學習
俚語精解
Cocky 臭屁
cook為名詞,指「公雞」,而cocky則是形容人趾高氣昂,不可一世的模樣,也就是「臭屁」。
例:Bob:Why did everybody at school think Victor a pain in the neck?(鮑伯:為什麼學校裡每個人都覺得維克多很討厭?)
Tim:Simple. He’s too cocky.(提姆:這很明白。他太臭屁了。)
另外再介紹兩個跟公雞叫聲的相關字辭:
*cockcrow
n. 公雞啼叫;黎明
*get up at cockcrow=get up at dawn
天剛亮就起床
例:I checked out before cockcrow and then took a taxi to the airport.(天還沒亮我就退房,然後搭計程車前往機場。)